Friday, November 12, 2010

Joe and Dennis




Joseph Gregory Salvatore Randa was a member of the Eugene Ems in 1991 when I first saw him play, during a game I wrote about earlier.  Joe played 58 games for the Padres in 2005, coming over from the Reds and then finishing his career the next year with the Pirates.  I think I got this signed through the mail.  Dennis Lee Rasmussen was lucky to be a major leaguer, on Labor Day 1973, at age 14, he was riding his bike when he was struck by a car and his foot only had the achilles connecting it to his leg.  A surgeon who had operated on Vietnam casualties thought he could fix it and did.  I remember talking to Dennis when he was charting pitches for the Las Vegas Stars against the Beavers in 1991 and got him to sign this card.  He was a very nice man and spent some time talking with us.

No comments: