Monday, January 22, 2024

Unboxing Day 8, 2023 Topps Big League

  

I remember when this set first came out.  I remember it reminded me of the Topps of old, just cards of players and not a lot of inserts and parallels.  It has come a long way since then and not necessarily for the better.  I am just going to show the inserts and parallels that I got.
Inserts of two legendary players who have impacted the game.
I have never been much of a home video game guy, so these mean nothing to me.  The only video game I like to play at the arcade is Centipede.

These inserts have motivated me to start a mini collection of players in their city connect uniforms.  I ordered a complete set of the city slickers from ebay.  I will see how many cards I can get of each team.
Send me your extra city connect cards.
I am also going to start a mini collection of the Padres mascot.  Let's see how many different cards I can find of the Swinging Friar and the San Diego Chicken.  
This set doesn't do much for me either.  I realize Ichiro only has one name he is known by.  It would have made more sense to put the players first name on the insert.
That's it for the inserts now for the parallels.  I got one blue foil parallel.  I have become a Bobby Witt Jr. magnet.  I seem to get him in every box.  


I got four of the orange parallels with one of them being foil.

Got 10 of the silver parallel.  Nothing exciting here.  
That concludes this box.

Up next 2023 Topps 2.










5 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

The Swinging Friar should make a nice PC. I bet there are more cards than you think.

Damien said...

I agree, putting the first name would be much better. "Hello, my name is Green" just sounds weird.

By the way, Centipede rocks. One of my favorite video games of all time.

Fuji said...

The 8-Bit Era was awesome! Used my NES from the mid 80's into the early 90's and my friends and I had a blast.

Jafronius said...

I don't think I ever saw any Big League in retail. Thanks for showing them off!

gcrl said...

I spent so many quarters at the arcade playing centipede! It was one of the first cartridges i obtained when we got an Atari 800 at home.
The blue foil Witt looks great. I’m not sure if there are any dodgers in that subset.