Thursday, January 21, 2010

2/3 of the Family


Christopher Karlton Gwynn  played ten seasons in the Major Leagues after being drafted in 1985 by the Doggers, two years with the Royals and finished his career with the 1996 Padres, playing alongside his older brother Tony.  It took many attempts to get this signed through the mail and I finally got it signed last year.  Chris continues to work with the Padres, being promoted under the new ownership to Director of Player Personnel.


Anthony Keith Gwynn Sr. is the only Hall of Fame player who played his entire career with the San Diego Padres.  He was granted free agency after the 2000 season and signed with the Padres for the 2001 season.  He played four seasons (or parts of four)  in the Padres minor league organization before beginning a 20 season career with the Padres.  He was elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 2007 along with Cal Ripken, Jr..  I have several cards of Tony that I have gotten signed in person and through the  mail.  Somewhere in all my stuff I have a signed Nike Hitting Machine poster, and a bunch of other oddball stuff.  At one card show here in Portland in the early 90's the promoter knew that I was a Tony Gwynn fan and so he arranged for me to be the guy sitting with Tony and handing him stuff to be signed.  I got to spend a couple of hours talking with him and showing Tony and his agent Johnny Boggs my collection of cards of him.  Amazingly there were many they had never seen before.  One I remember that they really liked was one of the first Donruss Elite cards, a green border I think.  I remember having a statistics paper that I wrote comparing Tony statistically to the other outfielders in the Hall  of Fame and making a case for Tonys' election to the Hall.  That was in 1997, and I sent it to Tony and Johnny and got notes back from them commending me on my research.  I hope that Tony Gwynn Jr. stays with the Padres and has a stellar career and they become the first father son combo in the Hall of Fame. 
I had hoped to have a signed card of Tony Gwynn, Jr. by this time, but it was not to be. 
We hereby conclude the G portion of Padrographs.

No comments: