Friday, January 29, 2010

Out in the Bullpen, it's a Gospel and A Garfoose

 
Dirk Von Hayhurst ranks high on my list of all time favorite Padres.  He was drafted by the Padres in 2003 and worked his ways through the organization up to AAA Portland in 2007 and 2008.  While he was here I emailed him and we talked and I loaned him some books.  He read some of them and shared his thoughts on them.  He still has some of them cause he was called up to the Padres.  Evidently the Blue Jays liked what they saw cause they claimed him off waivers from San Diego.  The Blue Jays released him when they picked up Matt Bush from the Padres, and resigned him to a minor league contract.  He ended up spending up some time in the majors with the Blue Jays.  During his minor league career he wrote a column for Baseball America called "Non Prospect Diary"  and a column for his hometown newspaper.  He is really a great writer, I had read most of what he has written.  There are two books I am looking forward, ( alot more than that really) Cardboard Gods by Josh Wilker and Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst.  This is a very special 2008 Topps card, especially Dirk hasn't had an official major league card yet.  This is a very special Punk Rock Paint issue of Dirk, I believe that there are four copies of this card out there, Dirk has one, Punk Rock has one and I have two.  Mine and Paints are signed.  I got this signed through the mail and this spring I hope to get a 8X10 signed by him with his creation, the Garfoose

No comments: