Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Mini Collection, National Anthem

I found these two cards in the Topps Update that I opened. They struck a chord with me.  I had an ancestor who fought for the Union during the civil war.  My grandfather was in the National Guard during WWII.  My Dad served in the US Navy during Korea and Vietnam during his twenty one year Naval Career.  I served four years in the US Navy from 1975-1979.  I have lots of friends that served in the military. I have never seen any cards like these before.  I am aware of one other which was also in the Update set.  I ordered one of it.  
If you know of any others please let me know.  
 

6 comments:

Brett Alan said...

The Volpe nicely shows off the MLB Debut patch which players now wear for their first games (and is used to make a 1/1 relic).

Of course the most famous national anthem card is Roy Lee Jackson's 1984 Fleer, but he's singing and some sources say he's singing the Canadian anthem (he did both before games) so maybe not the same vibe. Opening Day has done a bunch of cards of teams assembled along the foul line before the game but I don't know whether any show them with caps off for the anthem.

Matt said...

That's a cool collection idea

Matt said...

One of my favorites: the 2018 Topps Arizona Diamondbacks team card (https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/155909/cid/11364814/2018-Topps-659-Arizona-Diamondbacks) - A whole line of players standing for the national anthem, the singer visible on the scoreboard, and fireworks!

Fuji said...

Very cool collection idea. Now that it's on my radar... I will keep my eyes peeled for you.

gcrl said...

nick at dime boxes has a mini-collection of these cards. i am sure he could point you in the right direction to find more. i know i have sent him a couple over the years.

Jon said...

It'd be interesting to hear who was the first to be shown on a card during the anthem.