Friday, August 28, 2026

Derek picked #242, Horace Clarke


 The Player: Horace Clarke

The Card: A very early custom card.

How I obtained the auto:  I sent the card through the mail and Mr. Clarke returned it.  

About Horace Clarke: A mainstay of the New York Yankees from 1965-1973 he was signed by the Yankees as a amateur free agent in 1958.  He played for various minor league teams in the New York system before being promoted to the majors in 1965.  In 1974 he and Lowell Palmer were purchased by the Padres from the Yankees.  He played in twenty-four games for New York and forty-two for the Padres in 1974.  He played his last game on September 15, 1974.  After his retirement he was a coach for the Virgin Islands Department of Recreation and an assistant scout for the Royals. He had two sons who both played in the minor leagues.  He passed away in 2020 of complications from Alzheimer's.  

Fun Fact:  The photograph appears to be at Wrigley Field and seems to have been taken by legendary baseball photographer George Brace.  

Between: Phil Clark and Matt Clement

Up Next: Brett Alan picks #494, Josh Hader

Contest:  Each month I will pick a player to be the prize winner. If that players padrograph number is picked the person who picked the number will win an $20 eBay gift certificate.  

Please pick numbers between 2 and 1385.  The more numbers you select the better your odds are.  No batches please just individual numbers.  No one has picked the correct number yet.

2 comments:

Jeremya1um said...

I’m a big Phil Clark fan, so can I pick 241?

Rod (Padrographs) said...

sure, it will be a few days until we get there