Saturday, October 10, 2009

Erdos to Evans


Todd Michael Erdos was drafted by the Padres in the 1992 draft.  He made his major league debut in 1997 with the Padres before being drafted by the Diamondbacks in the expansion draft.  He was traded by the D backs to the Yankees.  In 2000 the Padres selected him off waivers from the Yankees.  He pitched part of 2000 for the Padres, before moving on to the Red Sox.  He pitched in 20 games with a 1.000 Win loss percentage and an ERA of 5.08.  I believe I got the signature on eBay.


Duane Grant Espy never made it to the major leagues as a player, he played several years in the Brewers organization.  I am not sure how many years he coached in the Padres organization, I believe he was the hitting coach.  He is currently the hitting coach for the Modesto Nuts in the Rockies organization.  I got this signed through the mail a couple of years ago.


Aaron Shawn Estes body seems to have worn out by the time he got to the Padres, he pitched in 2006 and 2008 for the Padres and missed 2007 with an injury.  In two seasons he pitched in only 10 games.  I got this signed through the mail.


Mark Edward Ettles was one of several Australian players in the early '90's.  He was drafted in the 1989 draft by the Tigers who released him in 1991.  He spent the next four years moving up and down the Padres organization.  He made his major league debut in June of 1993 and played in his last major league game in July of 1993.  I visited Australia in early 1976 and one day, when Portland was playing Las Vegas in 1995, I talked to Mark about Austrailian beer vs. Oregon beers.  He wanted to taste some Oregon beers and so after the game I went and made a six pack of various Oregon beers and smuggled them into the ballpark for him.  The third game of the series he told me he had enjoyed them the night before.  I got this card off of eBay, cause the one I got signed in 1995 I got rid of when I got out of collecting for a couple of years.

Barry Steven Evans was drafted by the Padres in the 1977 draft and then made his major league debut the following year.  He played 4 years for the Padres before being purchased by the Yankees in 1982.  Barry was a utility infielder playing at all 4 infield positions while with the Padres.  I believe I got this signed 1982 Topps cards off of Ebay.  

1 comment:

night owl said...

I wasn't aware there was a major league card of Mark Ettles.

I'm not sure, but I might have interviewed him. I'll have to double check and make sure. If I did, then I'll have to get that card. He played for the minor league team I covered back in 1989.