Monday, February 22, 2021

News of the day

 First off I managed to get my hands on some 2021 Topps.  I thought Night Owl was employing some hyperbole when he was talking about how small the names were. Then my nephew, in his early thirties, and I opened a pack and he had trouble reading the names.  My apologies to Night Owl.

I was visiting Target today and stepped up to the card area, which was cordoned off and was completely full.  I asked if I could get some and they asked me if I was on the list.  I said what, they have a virtual list you sign up on and they have a special cashier to ring people up.  You are limited to three SKU's per person, so I guess you could get three of each type of packaging.  I said how many people are on the list and was told by the bouncer, I mean security person, that there were thirty people on the list.  With that I turned and walked away.  

Amazingly Matt Strahm won the first battle of this round of cards.  Matt got six votes, Wil got five and the El Nino got four votes.  Up next is are these two.  I don't remember much about Ed Whitson, except he couldn't handle the New York fans.  Cashner is one of the first players I remember with a big bushy beard.


Remember every vote is an entry into the contest.  Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your assistance.

18 comments:

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Going with the beard. Cashner.

Nachos Grande said...

Whitson, love the quirky 1992 UD shots.

Jeremya1um said...

That’s crazy with the cards, but I wish my Target did that. At least we could be ready and get on the list in advance. I have always liked the Whitson card, so it gets my vote.

Brett Alan said...

Guess I'll go Cashner because Whitson is a little too Yankees-associated for me.

Still won't go to a big store, so I have no idea what my local store is doing. Oh, well. Hopefully in a few months I'll get vaccinated and maybe hit some shows and such.

night owl said...

A list????? Oh, hell, no. If that's what it's coming to, goodbye retail shelves.

As for the name fonts: I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

I'm picking Whitson.

John Sharp said...

Cashner.

gcrl said...

A sign up list for cards is a sign of the apocalypse.
Whitson gets my vote.

Fuji said...

Lol. A list? Well... at least they're trying to combat the flippers. As for the vote... I'll go with Whitson's stirrups and squat.

bbcardz said...

Although I'm not a fan of UD, I do like stirrup socks and how prominently they're shown on Whitson's card. Gotta go with the Whitson card.

And I agree with Fuji about stores trying to combat the flippers--kudos to those stores that are making that effort.

The Angels In Order said...

Cashmere.

The Angels In Order said...

(autocorrected)

Matt said...

Your Target experience sounds like a prank show of some sort. I'm voting for the glorious red beard of Cashner!

The Diamond King said...

Whitson for me.

Jafronius said...

I'll go with Whitson since he was aware enough to fit in the frame.

A Target bouncer with a virtual waiting list? Points for effort but I don't think the kiddie collectors are on that list. Methinks it's 30 flippers and their friends.

OhioTim said...

Cashner gets my vote on this one

Jongudmund said...

I'm voting for Cashner.

Congrats on the 2021 cards. I blogged my first 2021 Tony Gwynn card a couple of days ago.

Jon said...

You were better off without them anyway!

Jimmy said...

Late to the party, but I'll go with Cashner.