The Player: Joe Pepitone
The Card: Shoebox Heroes, Series 2, #160
How I obtained the Auto: ABC of a signing with Joe and I made the card and got it signed.
About Joe Pepitone: Joe is best known for his days with the Yankees. The Yankees signed him as amateur free agent before the 1958. He played in the Big Apple until 1969 when he was traded to the Astros, for Curt Blefary (who would play for the Padres in 1972). In 1970 the Cubs purchased his contract from Houston. In May of 1973 he was traded to the Braves for Andre Thornton. In June of 1973 the Braves released him. He then signed with the Yakult Atoms in Japan, appearing in just 14 games. He often sat out because of supposed injuries, but would be seen out in the nightlife. Pepitone became a word in Japan for goofing off. He attempted a comeback in 1976 with the Padres, he appeared in 13 games for the AAA Hawaii Islanders and hitting .225. He reconciled with the Yankees and was a coach for them. He passed away from a suspected heart attack in Kansas City, Missouri on March 13, 2023 at age 82.
Interesting: I knew Joe was colorful but I didn't realize how colorful. Joe and his father were admitted to the hospital on the same day in 1957. Joe was shot at age 17, by a classmate at school, his father, Joe Pepitone Sr. suffered a heart attack. Junior went home, his father did not. Senior suffered a stroke and passed away. Joe had multiple run ins with law enforcement, even doing time at Rikers Island. He posed fully nude for Foxy Lady magazine and played professional Slo-Pitch softball. His memoir, Joe, You Coulda Made us Proud, should be good reading.
Between: Roberto Pena and Luis D. Perdomo
Up Next: Matt Picks #1234, Gene Tenace
Contest: I have picked another secret Padrograph and let the guessing begin. Each Sunday I will post the numbers that have been chosen. Pick between 2-1393. Thank you.
Derek, please send me your email and I will send your prize. My email is padrographs@hotmail(dot)com.


2 comments:
Way to go Derek! #405 please.
Oh and thanks for the contest Rod!
Post a Comment