Thursday, April 8, 2010

Much More Than A Baseball Book

The Bullpen Gospels, Major League Dreams of a Minor League Veteran by Dirk Hayhurst; 2010; 340 pages; Citadel Press, New York, NY;  978-0-8065-3143-4; Purchased; 4/1-4/6
Saying this is a baseball book is like saying that Signs is about an alien invasion, like saying that Field of Dreams is about baseball, The Great Santini is about the Marine Corps.  This is one of the best books that I have ever read.  This is more about a young man coming to terms with his life.  Dirk is one very insightful and self aware young man.  The book covers his 2007 at Lake Elsinore and San Antonio.  This is not a expose or whistle blowing, this book has more in common with Catcher in the Rye than it does with Ball Four. I will recommend this book to all of my friends who like to read not just baseball fans.  Grade-A++

2 comments:

zman40 said...

I'll have to look for that one. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dennis said...

I'm just about to start reading this. Everything I've heard about it makes think I'll absolutely love it.