The Card: 1995 Shoebox Heroes, Series 2, #302
How I Obtained the Auto: Another blogger about six or seven years ago was trying to make card fronts of everyone who had played for every team for every season. I unfortunately cannot remember who it was. I got all the Padres from him and made card backs for them and sent them to some of the players and asked them to sign them. Greg Page was one of them. I got it back in the mail on December 28, 2019. After reading a few other blogs yesterday I realized the other blogger was Johnny,hiflew author of Cards from the Quarry. He passed away this last summer, I just found out yesterday. He will be missed I remember doing a few trades with him and we did some custom trading. He made the card fronts for the 1995 Padres replacement players.
About Greg Page: Page was a replacement player for San Diego during the lockout and strike that lead up to the 1995 season. Since the work stoppage ended on April 2 none of the replacement players played in the regular season. He played in the Giants minor league system from 1988-1990. He was working at a mortage company when he attempted his comeback in 1995.
Interesting: I found out writing that any of the replacement players who made it to the majors on their own merit were denied union membership, so the did not get any union benefits during their time in the major leagues. They wouldn't be pictured on cards or be part of the merchandising pools.
Between: Emilio Pagan and Mike Pagliarulo
Up Next: Batting Out of Order picks #627, Greg Keagle
Contest: There is a secret Padrograph lurking out there. If you pick the correct number you will win a $25 gift card. Each Sunday I will post the numbers that have already been chosen. I have chosen the 3rd secret Padrograph.


4 comments:
How about 717?
Ill say 301
Since I won the last time, I'll sit this round out. I know the Player's Union looked down on these guys, but looking at where Page was at after so many years in the minors, I can't fault him for wanting just one more chance...
Not to take any light off hiflew's remembrance, but I'm pretty sure the custom card maker in question was Jeremy at Topps Cards that Never Were, who's thankfully still with us.
Post a Comment