Friday, March 20, 2009

Mitch Canham

I saw Mitch play in college at Oregon State and was thrilled when he was drafted by the Padres with the 57th overall pick in the 2007 draft. So far he has played with the Eugene Emeralds and the Lake Elsinore Storm.

He has had some real highs and lows in the past few years. He led Oregon State to College World Series Championships in 2006 and 2007. During his freshman year in college his Mom died of a drug overdose and during the 2008 season his brother, Dustin, died while deployed with the Marines in Africa. The death gained national attention because of accusations of a cover up.

In the summer of 2007 Mets reliever Eddie Kunz and my son Daniel pulled a practical joke on a friend of my sons. Mitch and Eddie had been roommates at OSU so he knew all about Mitch. My son had a friend, a girl, a student at OSU who he knew had a crush on Mitch. So Daniel gives Eddie the girls' phone number and Eddie calls and pretends to be Mitch. I am not sure how far the call went, but she still doesn't know that it wasn't Mitch. I picked up this card at Heaven Sent Sports Cards in Tualatin. I am waiting for a card I can send Mitch and get it signed.

No comments: