Monday, November 9, 2020

Page 5 is complete, an empty pocket and the only battle on page 6

So all the battles are complete with Trent Grisham beating out Trevor Hoffman for a spot on page five which looks like this. Bip Roberts and his sombrero are on both pages four and five.  Surprisingly the two cards have different numbers on them.  


On page six the first spot, card number forty-six is blank.  I could not find a card in my collection with number forty-six on it.  So if you know of a Padres card that is number forty-six, please let me know.

The only battle for page six is for the number forty-eight spot.  We are almost halfway to the ninety-nine spot.  Card forty-eight is a battle between another Hall of Famer and a blogging icon.  Normally according to the rules I set up Bip Roberts would have automatically gone into the spot, but I decided that this one needed your assistance. 

My first ever Padres game was while I was in Navy Boot Camp in San Diego in the summer of 1975.  They took a couple of companies from the Recruiting Station and took us to a Padres game.  All I remember was that Willie McCovey was playing first in that game. So here are the cards battling for the number forty-eight spot.

Remember a vote for the phrankenset gets you an entry in a contest after ten pages.  
Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your assistance.

 

19 comments:

The Diamond King said...

Normally, I'd be sticking with Bip here. But I think phrankensets should be all about what means something to you, so bring on the McCovey!

John Sharp said...

I'm all about baby card of "Stretch" McCovey.

Jimmy said...

McCovey for me. I'm all about the aesthetics for this set and the McCovey pose would fit in well in the 45 slot.

As for card 46, 1971 #46 is Soup Campbell and he is facing to the right which would also fit well in the spot.

Jon said...

If you go to COMC and plug in "Padres 46", you'll find quite a few options for that spot.

Jeremya1um said...

Voting for Bip. Got that card signed by him in Spring Training one year.

The Angels In Order said...

You got Bipped! He gets my vote.

Brett Alan said...

Whatever blog-icon status Bip may have, Willie McCovey is a legend, a favorite, and a superstar. Easy vote for McCovey. I don't think I even knew of that set (2010 Topps Vintage Legends, apparently) before, FWIW.

Bulldog said...

Gotta be Willie McCovey in a Padres uni. Not something you see a lot of.

gcrl said...

i'll vote for mccovey. good of topps to put that card in an easy to obtain insert set as opposed to the legends short print they issued in 2009 with the same photo.

Trevor P said...

Have to vote McCovey here.

defgav said...

I love Bip as you know, but that's a great looking McCovey card and gets my vote.

Feel free to send me a list of vacant numbers you have and I should be able to help you out with some, though I came up empty trying to find an available #46 Padre in my collection.

Matt said...

Gotta vote for McCovey here!

According to the Trading Card Database, there are 164 Padres cards numbered at 46. After a brief look, I'd suggest 1994 Stadium Club (Tim Teufel), 2001 Stadium Club (Ryan Klesko), or 2015 Topps Archives (Tyson Ross)

Nick said...

Any Padres McCovey card gets my vote.

OhioTim said...

My vote for this spot in your set goes to McCovey.

Jeff Laws said...

I did what Matt did, went to TCDB, hopefully this link works - https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCollectionT.cfm/tid/23/San-Diego-Padres - The link might go to my collection but it should show all the cards.

McCovey gets my vote.

Fuji said...

Stadium Club and Bip would normally get my vote... but that McCovey is fantastic. Never seen that card before. Was it from Archives?

night owl said...

I like both cards but the McCovey on the very weird take on the '88 design is my pick.

bbcardz said...

For all the reasons stated above, I gotta go with McCovey.

Jafronius said...

McCovey was at first for your first game? Go with him!