Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Portland to Petco, Day 4, I Have Seen the Promised Land.

I have seen the promised land and it is wonderful.  We got up and drove from Port Hueneme to San Diego, got the chance to play I Love L.A. as we rolled through Los Angeles, I Can't Drive 55 while stuck in a traffic jam, and Ventura Highway as we cruised through Ventura.  Extra bonus points if you can name the three artists.  We stopped in Laguna Hills and went to In and Out for burgers for Philip and I.  We got to our hotel at around 1:30, down on Harbor Blvd, between Scott and Rosecran.  Our room wasn't ready so we drove up to Point Loma Nazarene University so Robert could scope out where he needed to be tomorrow for his conference.  We noticed that some of the buildings were rather unique, so we looked it up in wikipedia and found out all kinds of interesting things.  I want to go back now and find which building was Albert Spaldings' house.  After that we came back and found out that our room was ready.  We unloaded into our room and crashed for awhile, then we went to the ball game around 4:30 and just as we arrived at Petco Park, we realized that we didn't have the tickets, so we had to turn around and come back.  We got the tickets and went to the convention center where we parked and then walked over to the ballpark and got inside, but couldn't get to our seats because the inner gates don't open until 5:30.  When they finally opened we ended walking all the way around the ball park  because the even numbered sections are one side of the ballpark and the odd numbers are on the other.  So Section 319 is not between 318 and 320 but opposite them.  Robert and Phil went to see if the could get down by the players, the Braves players for some reason.  I just soaked it in, this is why I made the trip.  The grass was so green, the Western Metals building is so cool, and to get to see the Padres play in their home field was incredible.  I had seen many of the guys play at short season Rookie League Eugene, and some of them play for AAA Portland, so it was great to see them again.  Our old friend Tim Pearson, who moved here in 1985 from Portland joined us in the 2nd inning and we talked to him throughout the game when the Braves were up.  After the game we walked back to the car and I started this but I was so I couldn't finish it.  I am now a day behind, I will do todays tomorrow morning.  Good night, Ruth Ann, you  probably went to bed three hours ago.

1 comment:

Comatoad said...

Simple
I Love L.A. - Randy Newman
I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Haggar
Ventura Highway - Eagles.

Gotta love it!