Sunday, January 9, 2011

Al Santorini


In 1970 when this card came out I probably had no clue that there was a team called the Padres.  I was still following the Giants and A's because that is who the one relative I had that liked baseball liked.  My great uncle George of Berkeley, California was of all my relatives at the time was the only one I could talk baseball with.  He would go on to drive the A's in their Championship Parades in the early 70's in his original Model T Ford.  I was all of 13 at the time and living in either La Palma or Big Sur, since Dad got transfered part way through the year.

Al Santorini was drafted by the Braves in 1966 and pitched in one game for them in 1968 and then was drafted by the Padres in the expansion draft.  He pitched in 71 games for the Padres in 2.5 seasons before being traded to the Cardinals, where he played another 3 years.  He was then traded to the Royals but never appeared in a game for them.  I got this 1970 Topps card signed through the  mail.

No comments: