Saturday, April 10, 2021

something happened for the first time.

 Last night a Grossmont High School in San Diego alumni did something that had never happened in over eight thousand games for the Padres.  Joe Musgrove threw a no hitter for the Padres, one of the few Padres pitchers to come close was in a suite, Rangers General Manager Chris Young.  Joe Musgrove was just one pitch off a perfect game after hitting one batter.  It was a great game to be able to watch, the tension getting thicker with each inning and each batter.  Congratulations to Joe Musgrove and his defense.  

Joey Hamilton of the Topps laser card soundly defeated Mark Parent eighteen to one.  Up next is a triple threat match between OPC, SSPC and Topps.  Gary Lucas, 1982 OPC, SSPC Larry Hardy and 1990 Topps Joe Carter.

Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your assistance.   

P.S.  That was an actual Ozzie Smith rookie and not a reprint a couple of pages ago.

14 comments:

gcrl said...

Oh my o-pee-chee! I vote for Lucas although I did give hardy some consideration.

John Sharp said...

Lucas. Love the set.

Congratulations on the no-no!

Brett Alan said...

Can't sleep on an SSPC classic. Party Hardy!

Jeremya1um said...

I vote for Hardy

Jimmy said...

The SSPC will be an interesting addition to the set. My vote is for Hardy.

Nachos Grande said...

Carter gets my vote. (congrats to the Padres on the no-hitter!)

defgav said...

Awesome moment in Padres history!

As for the cards, I'll go with Lucas. Love the OPC logo.

bbcardz said...

Going with Joe Carter.

Jongudmund said...

I'm going to vote for Hardy. I just like the photo.

I watched so many highlight clips of the no-hitter. Joe's interview afterwards was great as well. He seems a genuinely nice, humble guy.

Fuji said...

Tough choice. Carter his a well cropped photo and is the big name of the bunch. But I think I'll go with Lucas. Love the brown, orange, and gold jersey and the nice action shot. Plus can't imagine there are too many 82OPC cards in your frankenset.

By the way... you popped into my head a few times while following Musgrove from the 7th inning on.

Jafronius said...

Congrats to Musgrove!

This one is tough. I'll also go for Hardy because of the rareness of SSPC.

OhioTim said...

I followed the Musgrove no hitter on ESPN Gamecast and happy for the Padres organization and their fans. Now it puts my Indians on the clock for the longest without a no hitter. With that said, my vote goes to Joe Carter. Nice little parallel for my choice of card and how I started my vote.

Matt said...

O-Pee-Chee for me!

zman40 said...

Got to go with the SSPC Hardy