Saturday, April 19, 2014

state of the blog, my mind and recent additions

I have been absent for the past week for no good reason, other than it has been hard to find the time to write.  I am not a morning person, but I have to get up early for my one hour commute to work via two buses and a train.  When I work til 6 two nights a week and then take the one hour commute home, I really don't want to write.
I have been reducing certain parts of my collection and am sending packages out to other Padre collectors.  I am only going to collect Padres autographs on licensed cards, I am not going to make anymore.  I have been making custom cards for a few friends here and there.  I am currently at 849 unique signed cards and have six cards out in the mail, Tony Clark, Chip Ambres, Dave Stewart, Joaquin Benoit, Seth Smith and Josh Johnson.  I am mulling a big purchase of a Randy Myers slabbed card, he is very difficult signature to get.  He would only sign cards of whatever team he was with and now doesn't sign at all.
The only team cards that I am currently collecting are the Heritage team cards.  I may collect some Andrew Cashner cards, and look for cards to mount with signed 8 X 10 photos that I have.
I have been concentrating lately on my other blog, readerman.us.  I have been screening a bunch of books lately for someone, so have been trying to get through them and get them reviewed.  I have discovered cards of authors and have been accumulating them.  I just realized that I can add Jose Canseco, Jim Bouton, Bill Lee and Jay Johnstone to that collection.  If you cards of authors I would appreciate them.  I am working on my own set of author cards of my favorite authors.  I just picked up this baseball related author card, W.P. Kinsella is the author of the book, Shoeless Joe, which became the movie, Field of Dreams.  He is always referred to as W.P. Kinsella, but he signed the card Bill Kinsella.
 I just picked up this 1975 signed Dick Sisler card.  I paid over $30 for it, but it is the only one I have seen and he passed away in 1998, so this is an unpossible auto as another blogger refers to them.   I also picked up this Jerry Coleman Day Commemorative Patch from last year.  I am going to mount the patch and the back of the card it came on with the Jerry Coleman letter I purchased on ebay.


1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

Good to hear from you Rod. Hope all is well. That commute sounds rough.